Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Snake Jerky


This isn't beef jerky!  A popular dish in Cambodia in addition to dried fish is the dried snake meat.  Although it doesn't look like snake, the process that it takes to convert this meat to dried meat changes its overall gruesome image of a slithering and hissing creature to somewhat edible food.   I tried this snake jerky without realizing this was snake.  Luckily, I did not know that it was snake otherwise I would have never tried it.  To my surprise, this tasted very flavorful- even better than beef jerky!  I think sometimes the thought of the reptile itself ruins the appetite, but what I've learned is that sometimes the most disgusting looking things taste better than food with a appetizing appearance.  Looks can definitely be deceiving!  What I recommend is that people try this snake jerky with porridge.  Since porridge is basically extra water with rice, its neutral flavor completes the somewhat salty yet satisfying flavor of snake jerky.  It's unlike anything I've ever tasted in my life, and if I could recommend this dish to anyone, this would definitely be the winner!

I do not know the type of snake that is used to make this snake jerky.  However, I do know that this snake jerky is popular among Cambodian villagers.  Part of the process to making snake jerky is the thin slicing of the meat, and leaving it out in the hot sun to dry.  People who love eating beef jerky will love eating snake jerky even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment