Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Crunchy Fried Scorpions

http://www.divinecaroline.com/images/photo/image/04/57/41/photo/45741/original/deep_fried_scorpions.jpg
When I went to Beijing for the first time in January of 2009, I never thought I'd see so many different variety of foods.  The shocker was live scorpion skewers!   At first I thought they were poisonous, and wondered if these creatures would sting the predator in the mouth as it was being eaten.  My second thought was that these scorpions were dead, but with a closer look, I saw moving tails and wiggling legs.  My third thought was that there was no way I was going to try one since I knew scorpions are poisonous.  If they were dead, there may be a chance to avoid the poisonous sting, but since they were alive, they were still capable to strike at any given opportunity.  To my surprise, my boyfriend ordered two skewers, one for me and one for him.  After paying cash, the cook tossed two of these live scorpions skewers in the deep fryer.  It was then I knew that there was no eating live scorpions.  I really did not have the appetite for scorpion, but my boyfriend insisted they tasted good, and were not poisonous.  Since these scorpions were dead and smaller than the other scorpions that were being sold, I decided to try just one.  For some reason, I had to break off the edge of the tail and throw it away, perhaps still afraid of poison.  The fried scorpion honestly tasted like french fry to my surprise.  The only thing that was missing at that point was ketchup.  However, not being the most adventurous person, I called it quits after the first scorpion, and my boyfriend happily gobbled the rest of the poor scorpions.

No comments:

Post a Comment